|Oakwood Park, Meadville PA|
|The Dance Pavilion at Oakwood Park|
|Trolley motormen and their car for Oakwood in 1913|
Within three months of Oakwood's opening in 1898, it was estimated that 350,000 people had already enjoyed the park's many offerings. On holidays, every car of the Meadville Traction Company would be in use, carrying more than 20,000 passengers in a day to Oakwood. Such high numbers created capacity issues for the trolleys especially on the longer nights. During one 4th of July, it took until 2 AM before the trolleys could shuttle everyone home. Later, one motorman was astonished realize he had carried in a single trip 120 passengers on his car which was intended to hold only 30!
|Canoes at the boat dock (left) and Monkey Island (far right)|
A dam was constructed making a lake 600 feet wide by 1,000 feet long and 3 feet deep in most places. Monkey Island, a small island located in the middle of the lake was a popular spot to reach by canoes which one could rent at the boat dock. In winter months the lake also made a popular spot for ice skating.
|Boaters in the foreground watch the trolleys coming and going with more patrons|
|Oakwood Park visitors relaxing at the concessions stand|
|Location of the springs|
Some references started to refer to as the “Casino” or “Lakeside” and history begins to get fuzzy until the early 1970’s, when the Township established a ballpark and picnic area in the vicinity and began calling it "Oakgrove Park."
|Passengers disembark from the trolley at the Oakwood Park station|
by Jill Dunlap (2014)
* * *
|Join Others Today! CLICK HERE|